COMPLETING A SUCCESSFUL REMODEL
By now you have survived through noise, dust and living without some conveniences, and things are finally starting to look normal again. As your vision finally starts to look like a reality and your excitement about your new space reaches a new level, it may be easy to forget the final steps of the remodeling process.
Here are a few things that you will want to keep in mind:
- Take a moment to walk through your project and make a list of necessary adjustments, known as a punch list. If you’re unsure about something, ask your contractor if that is normal or if he has a suggestion. It’s best that this is brought up during the final stages of the project while your contractor is onsite.
- Look over the contract again, make sure you have all of your signed permits, receipts, change orders, lien waivers, warranties and manufacturers guides to your products.
- If new appliances or systems are installed, ask your remodeling contractor if there are any maintenance schedules you should know about.
- Understand your contractor’s guarantees of quality and warranties. Oftentimes, contractors will provide free repairs up to a certain point—be clear that you know exactly what those guarantees cover and the length of time they are covered.
- Reward a job well done. As you know, reputation and references are the most credible marketing assets a contractor can have.
- Offer to assist by having your space photographed, providing a testimonial, or showcasing your home in a remodeled tour.