Dreaming about Project
Finding inspiration in design and styles of other homes gets you one step closer to envisioning what your dream home could look like.
Where can you find inspiration? Many homeowners research books, magazines or the Internet to get inspired. A good place to start is searching the Internet for design projects that you like.
If you put in the time to research and build a list of what you like—with pictures— you will have a better sense of which professional can help you achieve your goals.
Reasons to remodel
- You want to make your home more comfortable and attractive.
- Your family is expanding, and you need more room.
- Your home is outdated, and you want to make the style more current.
- Your home is not functional for your lifestyle.
- Your home is in need of repair.
Whatever the reason, think carefully about you dislike the most about your home, and what improvement to your home will help you overcome those challenges.
Think to the future
Envision your life 5, 10, 20 years from now. Think about:
- Family dynamics and how they will expand or contract.
- How you want to address changes to your family’s physical capabilities over time.
- Your finances and how much you’re comfortable saving to pay for your remodel— and how that will change over time.
- The impact of the remodel on the environment or your energy usage.
- Natural disasters and how aspects of your remodel could reduce damage.
- Your neighborhood and comparable property values.
- Technology and the role it plays in your everyday life.
- Needs versus wants; wants versus desires
- Where to save costs and where extra costs will pay off over the long-term.